Designing for Down Syndrome
Tasked with researching and designing a Budgeting application for a underserved user group, I selected individuals with Down syndrome.
Down syndrome (DS) is a disorder that manifests itself in disabilities that affect all three major types of capabilities (cognitive, motor, and perceptual).
From my research I was able to glean a set of tenets to guide interface design for this audience. This includes:
- Aid with distinguishing and understanding.
- Aid with interaction.
- Aid with navigation and finding content.
- Provide clear guidance, feedback and rewards.
- Don't underestimate the impact of images.
- Remember that everything means something.
My findings and resulting prototype are available below.
*This demo could benefit from my later lessons in accessible interface development.